During the 1960s touring car racing took off in a big way worldwide, all the manufacturers produced road cars specifically aimed at winning the National and International championships.
Alfa Romeo’s competition department, Autodelta, produced the immortal GTA in 1965 that swept all before it in the European Manufacturers Championship, winning a hat-trick of Championships, 1966, 67 & 68. The GTA was a lightweight homologation special based on the beautiful little Guilia Sprint GT that frequently beat much larger capacity cars, taking overall victories as well as class wins in some of the best races of the decade.
For 1970 Alfa Romeo and Autodelta homologated a new model for the new Group 2 Touring car regulations. Whereas the previous regulations required at least 500 cars to be built to the race car specification the new ones allowed homologated parts to be fitted to any model of which at least 1,000 cars had been produced.
Autodelta chose to base the new GTAm on the American market 1750 GT Veloce as the car was supplied with fuel injection and the engine capacity could be raised to 2 litres. The more liberal Group 2 regulations allowed the cars to run with much wider wheels and the outrageously flared bodywork to cover them.
Report by taylorandcrawley.com