1948 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Cabriolet

Graber Sportgarage AG

This stunning Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Cabriolet is one of the rare first series Super Sport, 2-seater cabriolet build with an Aluminium body by Carozzerria Pinin Farina – fully documented and beautifully restored!

1 1

Alfa Romeo’s final variant of the vaunted 6C platform, the 6C 2500 was introduced in 1938 and remained in production until 1952. After the war, the production of Alfa Romeo’s automobiles still followed their pre-war practices, as was the case with Pinin Farina who provided the bodywork for the example presented here, although the Art Deco obsession somewhat faded.

These post-war bodies omitted much of the brightwork, which allowed for their handsome lines to make their own statement. Such is the nature of this beautiful 6C 2500, which is the most desirable short-wheelbase model with the most powerful engine, known as the SS, or Super Sport.

Completed by Alfa Romeo in 1948, chassis no. 915.566 is a rare example of the coachbuilder’s first-series of 6C 2500s, built with lightweight aluminum coachwork. Following its completion, the car was delivered to Alfa Romeo Distributor Franz Gouvion of Brussels. The car remained in Belgium until 1960 when its then-owner, a Mr. Ophorst moved from Antwerp to Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

In 1979, the car was acquired by Dutch Alfa Romeo collector Roy Karstens in Noordwijk. Passing through Maurice Kruseman of Maastricht in 1995 the car was acquired by Mr. H. Zappeij of Groenloe. Upon his acquisition, the car was fully restored in the Netherlands with work completed in 2013 (all invoices and pictures available).

In 2015, the car was acquired by a Swiss collector and exported to Switzerland. Graber Sportgarage in Toffen was commissioned to overhaul the brakes, radiator, and water pump in Switzerland (2017 – CHF 18’000) and further work was done in July 2020 (CHF 16’000) – Mainly the following – Valve clearance checked and adjusted (the leakdown test shows only 4% on each cylinder which is excellent) – replacement of the dynamo regulator, replacement of spark plugs, circuit breaker, condenser, checking and adjusting the pressure of the clutch unit, checking all instruments, etc..

The car remains in excellent and well-restored condition today, and is accompanied by the previous Dutch registrations (it was never registered in Switzerland), as well as all invoices from both its restoration and service work done by Graber Sportgarage. Its attractive grey over over red colour scheme only serves to highlight its incredible Pinin Farina coachwork.

Click here for further information 


 

more information


Insta12 Kopie
 

Previous articlePrancing Horses First At Bonhams Festival Of Speed Sale
Next articleBugatti-Rimac Combines The Genes Of Strong Brands
Graber Sportgarage AG
With over thirty years of experience in classic motorsport, race preparation, trackside support, restoration, engine and drive train rebuilds Graber Sportgarage caters for a select clientele of classic sports car owners from around the globe. The origins of "Carrosserie Graber" date back to 1925 when Hermann Graber started as an independent coachbuilder in Wichtrach near Berne. In 1929 a Panhard-Levassor bodied by Graber won first place at the St. Moritz concours d`elegace, wich gave Graber well deserved and valuable publicity. In the 1930`s Graber became world famous for beautiful convertible & coupés designs and creations as well as for his perfect craftmanship. Until his passing in 1970 Hermann Graber had designed and built over 800 bodies on chassis ranging from Alvis, Aston Martin, Bentley, Bugatti, Duesenberg, Lagonda, Packard, Rolls-Royce to Rover and others. With Hermann Graber`s demise the coachbuilding activity was discontinued, but the mechanical workshop and body shop were carried on by his widow until 1980. From 1980 to 1996 the Graber company was one of a few hand-picked official Ferrari dealers in Switzerland. Futhermore the company was very active in the field of complete restorations of Italian and German sports cars. In 2001 Graber Sportgarage merged with "Oldtimer Reparatur AG" the workshop of Markus Scharnhorst and moved all activities to a bigger and more suitable location in Toffen, near Berne. The main workshop, the showroom as well the head offices are still located in Toffen until today. In 2014 the company opened a second showroom located in the shopping area in Lyssach near Burgdorf in order to get greater exposure of its classic cars it has on sale. In April 2019 the company is happy to have expanded into second, more modern workshop complete with offices and showroom in nearby Münsingen. The new branch will service and repair some of our customer`s classic race cars but will mainly focus on services, repairs and sales of Ferraris of the more recent eras.