1963 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster By Canepa
- April 5, 2019
- Posted by Simon Streich
The overwhelming popularity of open-top two-seaters in the late 1950’s had Mercedes-Benz reevaluate their current class-leading car, the 300SL Gullwing.
Releasing the first 300SL Roadster in 1957, the platform would go on to become a car that was synonymous with style, performance and luxury. Immensely popular among affluent individuals, they were a status symbol of the era and were considered the best open-top car money could buy. This particular Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster is the second-to-last example every built. With its 4-wheel disc brakes, aluminum alloy engine and benefiting from every upgrade made to the 300SL platform since 1954, making this 300SL one of the rarest surviving examples to wear the 300SL badge.
The final production of the legendary 300SL Roadster happened in January and February of 1963. Twenty-six cars would be built in those two months, with the last six built in February. This car, chassis 3257, was completed the day before the factory closed on February 7th, 1963, making it the penultimate 300SL. Because this is the second-to-last 300SL ever made, it benefits from every improvement made to the 300SL platform, with disc brakes and the aluminum-alloy engine only in the last 200 cars.
Report by canepa.com