By sequential production, this particular 300S was the 19th of 26 completed examples. It was the last 300S built in 1956 for the Factory Race Team (Officine Alfieri Maserati) rather than a private client. Maserati assembly records state completion of the car took place on December 20th, 1956 a fact confirmed by Maserati historian, Richard Crump who was given access to all of the Maserati internal records in the 1970s. Maserati completed the car to the latest specification and Crump believed they did so with the intent of specifically racing it at Le Mans later that year. The chassis was the 2nd type which the Factory Team cars utilized. This consisted of thicker wall, round-outside frame rails on each side and a double set of longtitudinal stiffener tubes that were also round. The client cars utilized a frame that had outer frame rails that were oval in shape and only a single longtitudinal stiffener tube. The frame differences are easy to spot in the period photos of 3069 from the early 1980s after it was sold by Colin Crabbe which can also be seen in the current inspection photos of 3069 to this day.
According to Richard Crump, 3069 may have been fitted initially with an experimental fuel injection system which was tested by Maserati early in 1957. In any case, the car was at first retained by Maserati as a Factory Racer but appears not to have actually raced in any events for the first few months of 1957. Crump believed Maserati entered the car in April of 1957 in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and records indicate a car was entered but it did not show up for either the practice sessions or the actual race.
Sometime in the Spring of 1957, it was deemed surplus to the needs of the Factory as their main focus for 1957 was strictly on Grand Prix racing and the world championship. A certificate of origin was issued in April of 1957 and this 300S was then sold to Sig. Armando Zampiero of Venice, Italy one month later, in May of 1957.
- There are no features available