As Lancia’s notoriety spread stateside following World War II, the time came for the company to offer an open sports car to the boom market in the United States. This model would have to have more power, as well as open coachwork better-suited to the warm climates of Florida, Texas, and, most of all, California.
The result was the Aurelia B24S America Spyder, “S” signifying sinistra or “left,” referring to the left-hand-drive chassis. Built to a design by Pinin Farina, it ranks among the most striking open automobiles of the period, boldly challenging Ferrari with its aggressive hood scoop, flowing front fenders, and softly curving rear fenders with mild wheel flares. The windshield wrapped around to removable side windows and under a well-fitted convertible top. It was muscular yet restrained, sporting yet elegant – everything an aristocrat’s high-speed summer transportation should be.
The Spyder’s advanced specification, semi-custom bodywork, and superb build quality made it expensive to build.
The B24 Spyder America was launched in 1954. Pinin Farina’s shapely roadster was built on a wheelbase that had been shortened a further 210 millimetres from the Coupé, and it featured a dogleg wraparound windshield and side curtains, with no external handles for doors or the boot to interrupt the almost liquid lines. After only 240 of the Spyder Americas were built, a heavily revised model, the B24 convertible, was introduced in 1956. With an eye towards creating comfort rather than sportiness, the convertible added weight with roll-up windows, higher doors, more interior furnishings, and a more upright windshield. At once, the Spider America was destined to be set apart. It is believed that only 181 left-hand-drive America Spyders were built by the factory, of which approximately 150 survive today and even fewer are in excellent restored condition.
This Left hand drive Lancia B24S Spyder America is an exceptional example which has been restored by famed Lancia restorer KGC in Italy to the highest standards. Stunning color combination complementing the beautiful lines. It has been part of a prominent Italian collection for many years and is now available for sale.
Located in Europe