How marvellous to notice thatin the period surrounding WWIIalso the Italian small car manufacturers had big ambitions to break speed records by building exceptional sports cars.
A typical example is this one-off 1938 Siata 500 Record,
– constructed using an intelligently upgraded Topolino chassis.
– tuned with the typical Siata Supertesta cylinder head on the popular Fiat Topolino engine block reduced to 480cc and fitted with a compressor.
– coachbuilt by Motto from Torino with a superbly elegant alloy aerodynamic body, originally with spats on all four wheels.
– driving on four Borrani wire wheels especially designed for this car.
With this Siata 500 Record it was Afredo Bosis intention to do an assault to the world speed record in the 500 class held by Count Giovanni Lurani with the Nibbio 500.
The assault to the speed record never materialised, but instead this Siata, now fitted with a pair of lights, participated at:
– 1946 Coppa del Mare with pilot: Alfredo Bosi
– 1947 Autosciatoria di Bosco Chiesanuova with pilot: Gino Lochi.
In 1949 the front lights were integrated in the alloy body at both sides of the front grille.
Later in life the front lights were relocated to the 1947 configuration, but the engine was upgraded to a more potent Siata 750 cc version.
Because this Siata 500 Record lived a sheltered life in a micro-car collection in the North-Italian Veneto province this super-elegant competition car aged very well and is still today in a very sound structural condition. Also the mechanics, producing a very sporty sound, are on the button, so nothing was stopping us from doing a test drive as soon as it arrived in our showroom. Our verdict? Tremendous fun! When you sit so close to the road, with your ear right above the exhaust, you start to grasp the thrill that Alfredo Bosi felt seventy years ago.
This Siata 500 Record is still road registered in Italy and comes with ancient Libretto and the old FI registration plates.
Who wouldnt be tempted to participate with this elegant beauty to one of the top-class classic car events?
Price: 375.000 Euro
- There are no features available